December 31, 2010

New Year's Resolutions [About Me]

2010 has been good to me. I spent six months in Buenos Aires, three months in Guildford with Si and his family, a month in Pennsylvania with all of my lovely friends and two months home in Portland. In that time, I managed to write my dissertation and defend it, as well as start two websites that I am now very proud of (this blog and LandingPadLondon.com). This of course is not to mention (yet again) our engagement last July and the beginning of my side career as a craftsperson on Etsy. Pfew! That's a lot for just one year.

I have already been through so much, but it's looking like 2011 will be just as busy. This year I will move to London for good (finally), officially graduate and become "Dr. Dean," and start my life as both a professional and a married person (fingers crossed on finding a job in this economy).

With so much to come, I wanted to take a moment to set aside a few New Year's resolutions. My resolutions this year all revolve around regaining what I lost touch with while in Buenos Aires. Truth be told, I was intimidated by Buenos Aires. I'm not proud to say that. That same intimidation kept me from some of the things I love most, and ultimately led to missed opportunities to meet new and interesting people. It's a shame and I don't want that to happen again when I get to London.

In 2011, I would like to learn to be a better seamstress. This of course means that I will need to buy a sewing machine once I am in England, and hopefully find a lovely person to teach me this trade. Once I've learned how, I'd like to try my hand at making some things for me, for my friends and family and for our house.

photo by Claudia Assad

In 2011, I would like to get back in touch with my green thumb. I realize it is difficult to find allotments in London, but perhaps I can find someone willing to share their allotment with me in exchange for splitting water duties. Ah, I can almost taste the vine ripened heirlooms now.

photo by London Permaculture


In 2011, I would like to regain direction in my career. The dissertation and defense process left me jaded and in need of a new direction. I know that at least for the moment I worry about the pressures of taking on the responsibility of a lecturer at a manor research university. Within the next year, I want to have regained that old, comfortable sense of direction, but to pursue a different goal (at least for a while). I want to know where I'm going and have something to work for again.

photo by Stefan


In 2011, I would like to become part of a new community of friends who share my interests in things like the arts, gardening, crafts, good beer, good food, etc. etc. Moving is always hard, but by actively pursuing my own interests I'm bound to meet some good people along the way right?

As this post is published I am leaving to get on a plane to go to London. I arrive at noon on New Year's Day, literally starting off the New Year with an absolutely clean slate. New house, new city, new life. I am both excited and afraid right now, both feelings will eventually subside regretfully. Only time will tell what will happen in the next months. I can't wait to find out!

Happy New Year to you all, and my best of wishes for 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment